NATO will not participate in the fighting against ISIS*, said Stoltenberg
BRUSSELS, may 11 — RIA Novosti. NATO even if formal membership in the coalition to combat banned in Russia grouping “Islamic state”* will not participate in the fighting, and limited technical support and training of national forces, said NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg.
Answering a journalist’s question about whether NATO formally join the coalition under U.S. command, he said that this issue is being discussed. The Secretary General expressed hope that the decision will be adopted by the NATO summit, which will take place on 25 may in Brussels.
“If NATO joins the coalition, it will not change the role of NATO… NATO will not participate in combat operations, no one requested that NATO played a role in the combat operations either in Syria or Iraq,” — said Stoltenberg at a press conference in Berlin, which is broadcast on the website of the Alliance.
“We will continue to provide assistance with the use of aircraft (airborne early warning) and AWACS, to train security forces in Iraq,” — said the Secretary General.
Previously Spiegel magazine reported that at a meeting of NATO ambassadors last Wednesday, the U.S. made clear the allies expected them formal joining of the international coalition against ISIS.
*A terrorist organization banned in Russia.