Scientists talked about the risks of collision of the Earth with an asteroid

NASA reported the risks of asteroids known to scientists to collide with the Earth within 100 years for the Earth, collision with asteroids, known to scientists, is not observed within the next 100 years.

A representative of the department spoke about this before the upcoming launch of the DART space probe to the asteroid Dimorf. It will have to crash into an asteroid to test the technology to protect the Earth from a possible collision with a celestial body in the future.

“Rest assured, this asteroid is not now and will not be a threat. None of the objects we know today are a threat for the next 100 years or so, ”Zurbuchen said. He noted that scientists currently know about 40 percent of objects larger than 140 square meters, and the remaining 60 percent are yet to be found.

Earlier it was reported that the DART spacecraft will be launched aboard a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket at 22 : 20 PST Nov 23 from Vandenberg Space Force Base in California. If the launch takes place at this time, then the collision with the asteroid will occur in the period from September 26 to October 1 of the following year.



Leave a Reply