The UN Secretary General called for an end to military escalation in the South-West of Syria
Moscow. June 23. INTERFAX.RU — UN Secretary-General, antónio Guterres, expressed concern about the situation in the South-West of Syria and called on all parties to respect agreements and to exercise restraint, said his spokesman Stefan Dujarric.
“The Secretary-General is seriously concerned by the recent escalation of hostilities in the South-West of Syria, including ground offensives and aerial bombardment in the South-West of Syria. These attacks resulted in the displacement of thousands of civilians, most of whom are moving to the border of Jordan,” — said in a statement Dujarric.
According to him, Guterres “is also concerned about the significant risks that these offensive operations pose to regional security.”
The head of the world body urged all parties concerned to stop military escalation and to comply with the relevant agreement, “which provided the relative calm in the South-West of Syria in the last year,” said the press Secretary of the United Nations.
“The Secretary-General urges all to exercise restraint and to comply with these obligations as a matter of priority,” — said Dyuzharrik.