Tehran has threatened to resume the enrichment of uranium to 20%
Moscow. May 19. INTERFAX.RU — the Government of Iran could return to uranium enrichment to the 20% level in the case that the European mediators will not be able to maintain a Joint comprehensive plan of action (SVPD) after the US withdrawal from the deal, said Saturday the head of the atomic energy Organization of Iran Ali Akbar Salehi.
“If the other party is committed to honour its obligations, we will also be committed to them. Our policy is to wait for a few weeks and see what happens next (after reaching Washington from the agreement — if). We have a selection of the many possibilities — we can resume enriching uranium to 20 percent,” said Salehi at a joint press conference with European Commissioner for climate and energy Miguel arias Cañete in Tehran.
Earlier, Iranian foreign Minister Javad Zarif said that Iran may increase uranium enrichment to the 20% level of “very rapidly” in just a few days.
Last week, the President of the United States Donald trump announced its withdrawal from the Joint comprehensive plan of action on the Iranian atom, is approved in 2015, the “six” of international mediators (five permanent members of the UN security Council and Germany) and Iran.
Currently, all parties to the agreement, with the exception of the United States, declare their intention to keep it.