In Tajikistan, the cook seasoned the pilaf with sodium nitrate
Moscow. 2 Jan. INTERFAX.RU IN Khujand, the administrative center of the Sogd region in Northern Tajikistan after eating Christmas pilaf died four residents, including 67-year-old chef.
Six people, including an elderly woman and her young grandson, with severe poisoning are in hospital, local media reported.
“Forensic medical examination showed that four residents of the 19th district of the city of Khujand died as a result of poisoning by nitrate of sodium. At the scene found a small box with the remains of this substance. A lethal dose of sodium nitrate found in the body of the deceased”, — said the Tajik service of “Radio Liberty”, citing a source in office of public Prosecutor of Khujand city.
A criminal case under article 108 of the criminal code “Causing death by negligence” under investigation.
Sodium nitrate — sodium salt of nitric acid with the formula NaNO3. Used as fertilizer; food, glass, Metalworking industry; to get to the explosives, propellant and pyrotechnic compounds.