The UN has named the estimated number of victims of Syrian conflict
UN, 30 Jul — RIA Novosti. The number of victims of the conflict in Syria may reach half a million people, said Deputy UN Secretary-General for humanitarian Affairs Stephen O’brien. He reiterated the need to transfer the Syrian dossier to the international criminal court (ICC).
Wednesday he last made a report to the UN Security Council in the post of permanent under Secretary for humanitarian Affairs. Earlier on this post was appointed Marc Locock, as the representative of the United Kingdom.
“I reiterate my call for the last time in the office of the humanitarian coordinator, members of the UN Security Council to refer the situation, and responsible people in Syria to the international criminal court,” said O’brien.
In March 2016, the then UN Secretary-General ban Ki-moon during his visit to Lebanon, said that according to some estimates, the number of victims of the Syrian conflict could exceed half a million people.
The eighth UN Secretary-General ban Ki-moon has repeatedly called on the UN Security Council to refer the dossier for war crimes in Syria to the ICC. Former permanent representative of Russia to the UN Vitaly Churkin considered inexpedient transfer to the ICC a new dossier on the example of activities of this body on Libya.