Washington is studying the possibility of use of force against Venezuela, but soon it is not planning military intervention. This was stated to journalists by the assistant to the President for national security Herbert McMaster, reports Reuters.
According to him, the military option against Caracas is only possible in case of further deterioration of the situation in this South American country.
Simultaneously with McMaster was the head of the U.S. Treasury Steven Mnuchin. He said that the White house considers unacceptable the situation in Venezuela, and Donald trump “clearly gave to understand that, by signing a draft law on sanctions”, — said the Minister, adding that “we are not talking about change of leadership in Venezuela, and the restoration of the democratic process and the rule of law”.
Previously, on 25 Aug trump has signed a decree on the introduction of financial sanctions against Venezuela. Henceforth prohibited transaction with new debt and securities issued by the Venezuelan government and state oil company PDVSA. It is also forbidden to conduct transactions with a number of already issued debt of the public sector of Venezuela, as well as dividends, which are paid by the authorities.
Saturday, August 19, constituent Assembly of Venezuela approved the decree establishing for him legislative functions and in fact dissolve the country’s Parliament. Under the control of the opposition, the Venezuelan Parliament (national Assembly) called the actions of the constituent Assembly unconstitutional and ordered not to prevent the dissolution of the legislature.
The US state Department also condemned the decision of the Venezuelan constituent Assembly.