Case solved: how to investigate the murder of Boris Nemtsov
The Moscow district military court sentenced five defendants in the murder case of Boris Nemtsov to terms ranging from 11 to 20 years in a strict regime colony. TASS recalls the details of the criminal case.
Politician Boris Nemtsov killed in the center of Moscow on the night of February 28, 2015. After 11 months, the Investigative Committee announced the case of completion of the investigation. 2.
9 Jun 2017 a jury delivered its verdict. Were convicted all five defendants: Zaur Dadayev, Anzor and Shadid Gubareva, Temirlan Eskerkhanov, Khamzat. 13 July 2017, the Moscow regional military court on the basis of the jury’s verdict ordered the accused’s sentence.
How the murder occurred
- Boris Nemtsov was shot dead in Moscow on the Bolshoy Moskvoretsky bridge. According to preliminary data, he shot several times from a passing car.
- At the murder scene was found six cartridges of 9 mm caliber. Shots were fired, presumably from a Makarov pistol.
- The policy was accompanied by Ukrainian model Anna Duritskaya. She was not injured. March 2, 2015 Duricka told that the killer was back, he was shot in the back. When the Germans fell, she ran to the driver of a snowplow for help and called the police.
As the investigation proceeded
- The investigative Committee opened a criminal case under article “Murder” and “Illicit arms trafficking”. The crime was reported to President Vladimir Putin, who instructed the UK, the Ministry of internal Affairs and FSB to keep the investigation of the murder of Boris Nemtsov under personal control.
The result was tested at least five possible versions of the murder.
- Among them as a provocation to destabilize the political situation in the country and commercial activities, personal animosity, the events in Ukraine and even Islamic extremist footprint.
- On 4 March, FSB head Alexander Bortnikov said investigators have suspects. After a few days in Ingushetia, Chechnya and the Moscow region were detained five people: brothers Anzor and Shadid Gubareva, Zaur Dadayev, Khamzat and Timur Eskerkhanov. Another alleged accomplice in the crime — Beslan Shavanov is made up while trying his detention in Grozny.
- March 8 suspects were taken into custody. On the same day Dudaeva, of which the consequence considers as the direct killer politics, and Anzor Gubareva was charged. According to the judge, Dadaev admitted involvement in the murder. He asked a fair trial. Two days later it became known that Dadaev refused recognition.
- On March 10, journalist of “Moskovsky Komsomolets” eve Markachev, which, as a member of the PMC were in “Lefortovo”, was written in the article that those arrested reported beatings by security forces. Arrested was found the head of the Commission of the HRC Andrei Babushkin, who felt that it could apply torture, and appealed to the Prosecutor General’s office and the SC with a request to verify this information. The UK has warned about the inadmissibility of interference in the investigation and promised to give a legal assessment to actions of Marichevoy and grandma. Later the grandmother was questioned and was thus a witness. In accordance with the law, he was deprived of the opportunity to visit the jail, where he kept the defendants. On 11 March, the head of the PMC in Moscow, a member of the Public chamber Anton Tsvetkov with three of his colleagues visited the “Lefortovo”. The Commission of human rights do not find any traces of torture.
- March 16 charges were brought against Khamzat Bachevo, Tamerlane Eskerhanova and Shadid Gubareva. His guilt they do not recognize. All defendants were charged with article 105 of the criminal code (“Murder committed by a group of persons on preliminary arrangement from mercenary promptings or on hiring”) and article 222 (“Illegal acquisition, transfer, sale, storage, transportation or carrying of weapons”).
In April it became known that the main version of the murder of politician Boris Nemtsov, the investigation is considering “murder for hire”.
- According to the newspaper “Kommersant”, during the investigation, Dadaev called the name of the customer of murder: former soldier of the battalion “North” Ruslan muhudinov, which provided the weapons and the car and promised the elimination Nemtsov 25 million rubles. Later, from these indications Dadaev refused.
- In June 2015 during the interrogation, Dadaev said that he has an alibi: on the day of the murder he was in the area Ochakovo-matveyevskoye, in the city center did not leave. In his first testimony given on March 7, he allegedly “was forced under torture to incriminate himself and the others.” On 27 August the Moscow court dismissed the complaint Dadaeva on the application to it of torture.
- November 9, the lawyer daughter of Jeanne Nemtsov said that the investigation has charged in absentia charged with the murder of Ruslan Muhudinov. 6 November was issued declaring Muhudinov the Federal wanted list, 16 November, he was declared in the international search 18 November — arrested in absentia. 29 Dec SK confirmed that he considers Muhudinov the organizer and the customer of the crime.
- The criminal case against the alleged the customer and the organizer of the murder of Ruslan Muhudinov and other unidentified persons allocated in separate manufacture. The investigation into him continues.