In USA a 16 year-old teenager died after drinking caffeinated beverages

In the U.S. state of South Carolina, a teenager died due to the fact that in a short time had a few drinks with a high caffeine content. To such conclusion pathologists, reports BBC News on Tuesday, may 16.

Davis Crip suddenly lost consciousness and died during school hours. The doctors found that the boy had a latte from McDonalds, soft drink Mountain Dew and an energy drink.

“It’s not an overdose of caffeine. It is not the amount of caffeine in the body, and that the teen used it for a short period of time, energy has become the last straw that caused the arrhythmia,” explained the doctor, Harry watts.

In this case the student was not heart problems. At 16, he weighed 90 kilos, but doctors have not diagnosed him with obesity.

Watts added that he was not advocating a complete ban of caffeine. “But people need to monitor his consumption the same as in the case of alcohol or cigarettes,” he said.

One serving of most energy drinks contains caffeine equal to three cups of coffee and 14 teaspoons of sugar, said at the American Academy of Pediatrics.

Presumably, the teenager had about 470 milligrams of caffeine in just two hours. In 2015 the European Agency for food safety reported that the consumption of 400 milligrams of caffeine a day can significantly increase blood pressure, cause arrhythmia, tremor, nervousness, insomnia and panic attacks.