Egyptian media: negotiations with Russia on the resumption of flights not carried out
CAIRO, may 14 — RIA Novosti, Margarita Kislova. Negotiations of Russia and Egypt to resume the interrupted year and a half ago flights suspended since February this year, any contacts on this question is currently no, according to the Egyptian newspaper “al-Watan”, citing a source in the Ministry of civil aviation of Egypt.
“Talks suspended since February, no contact with the Russian side in this area”, — said the source.
He added that Egypt last year dismissed the possibility of their presence in the airports of the Russian specialists in security management, because it believes that it would prejudice the country’s sovereignty. “The Ministry rejected last year a request of Russia about the presence of Russian security experts at the Egyptian airports, arguing that it would affect the sovereignty, and open the door for similar action by other countries”, — said the interlocutor of the newspaper.
He noted that the Protocol on aviation security between Russia and Egypt was signed, because “it contains some items affecting the principle of state sovereignty on its territory”.
A source in the Ministry of civil aviation of Egypt on Saturday, told RIA Novosti that Cairo does not consider possible permanent presence of Russian specialists in the field of security in the Egyptian airports, so it is possible to search other joint decisions to ensure the safety of air traffic.
In addition, a source in the Ministry said that the Egyptian side completes execution of the last Russian demands on increasing security measures at airports, date of the invitation of experts from the Russian Federation for the next test will be discussed.
The head of Ministry of transport of Russia Maxim Sokolov on Sunday said that official information from the Egyptian authorities about the objections to permanent presence of specialists from Russia in the airports have been reported. He also noted that Egyptian authorities did not invite Russian specialists to conduct security checks of airports in may.
In November 2015, the flights between Russia and Egypt was interrupted. This decision was taken by Russia after the collapse of the Sinai to the plane of the Russian airline “Kogalymavia” flying from Sharm El Sheikh to Saint Petersburg. On its Board there were 217 Russian tourists and seven crew members, they all died. Subsequently, the FSB has described the incident as a terrorist attack.
In April 2016 the state office of public Prosecutor of Egypt on the basis of the report of the Investigative Committee of Russia has transferred the investigation from the technical Commission in the Supreme Prosecutor’s office of the state security of Egypt.
Work to determine the causes of the crash is still ongoing.
The Russian side has proposed to Egypt to increase security measures at airports across the country, and to sign a joint Protocol on aviation security. Direct flights between the countries to date has not resumed.