In the Polish city of Milejczyce on February 24, the opening ceremony of the restored Soviet military cemetery, RIA Novosti reported.
“The authorities Milejczyce with the support of other Polish authorities and the Russian Foundation for Kronstadt naval Cathedral in the name of St. Nicholas has made a big and important thing. They not only repaired Soviet military cemetery, but also showed all of us – Russians and poles – the path to understanding, mutual respect and overcoming of mutual resentment and suspicion,” – said at the ceremony, Minister Counsellor of the Russian Embassy in Warsaw Andrey Ordash.
The ceremony was attended by representatives of the diplomatic corps of the Russian Federation in Poland, the Russian defense Ministry, the Belarusian Consulate General in Bialystok, as well as representatives of local authorities and public organizations. The cemetery held a prayer service for the fallen defenders of the Fatherland, their memory observed a minute of silence.
The restoration of the memorial at a cost of 304 thousand zlotys, part of which gathered a Council of protection of memory of battles and martyrdom, the remaining funds were collected by the International charitable Foundation “Kronstadt naval Cathedral in the name of Prelate Nikolay Chudotvortsa”.
In the fall of 2015 has been damaged gravestones in a cemetery in Milejczyce. Unknown completely knocked down set of red stars. According to the official, vandalism admitted two children who allegedly wanted to take a star for memory.
Cemetery in Milejczyce is located on the border of the front in 1944. It was buried more than 1.5 thousand soldiers, of whom identified only about 100 people.