The former head of the Pentagon considers it a serious mistake for the US refusal to prolong start-3
WASHINGTON, 11 Feb — RIA Novosti. Ex-Pentagon chief William Perry has warned the current U.S. administration that renewal of the contract start-3 will be “a tragic mistake”.
“It would be a tragic mistake not to take advantage of Russia’s proposal to renew the contract,” said Perry in an interview with Politico.
Earlier, Reuters reported that during a recent conversation with President of Russia Vladimir Putin, U.S. President Donald trump called failed start-3 Treaty. The white house has refused to discuss the topic, noting that it was a private conversation between the two leaders. On Friday, the press Secretary of the President Dmitry Peskov said that to have a conversation about the Kremlin’s position in relation to the possible extension of the start-3 Treaty with the USA you need to update information on positions.
Commenting on reports of a trump contract, the former defense Minister said that “the agreement requires equal disarmament and verification process for the parties, and, if anything, even tougher towards Russia than to the United States.”
In 2010 Russia and the United States signed the Treaty on reducing strategic offensive arms. The agreement SNV-3, which entered into force in 2011, envisages reducing deployed strategic delivery vehicles on each side to 700 and up to 1,550 nuclear warheads on them. The term of the agreement is 10 years. Later, President Barack Obama launched an initiative to reduce arsenals of the two countries by a third, but Moscow refused, citing the extension ABOUT the United States and other outstanding bilateral issues. Later the US proposed to extend the start-3 for five years, but the Russian foreign Ministry said that a formal proposal had been brought before it.